Monday, October 23, 2006

Can we stay silent?

"For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow his steps". I Peter 2:21, KJV

I intend to hit an issue that has been completely and totally ignored by the Church. An issue that is killing millions every year around the world. An issue that will not be popular among most of you who read this blog. However I've decided that I'm not going to use my voice to gain your approval, and I'm not going to use my voice to gain popularity. I'm not sure of the preacher's name that made this statement, but he hit the nail on the head. "Well why in God's Name do you expect to be accepted everywhere?"

This issue is Aids, particularly in Africa. It's an issue that people love to ignore, love to turn a cold cheek to, love to make theories up that justify ignoring it. But as Christians, as the Church of the Most High God we can not just ignore this issue.

You say "oh well they have Aids because of their lifestyle" yes they do and no they don't. Some rape, some are raped, some are born with it, some are just plain sexually perverted, but you know what, I don't care how they got it. Even if it is their lifestyle Christ loves them no less. It's our lifestyle that made/makes us worthy of Hell. We deserve hell, everyone of us, but as Relient K put it "the beauty of grace is that it makes life un-fair". Even though we absolutely deserve hell that's not what God wants for us and He has provided a way out. If you don't believe we should show grace to sinners then you're a hypocrite and you don't know what grace is. Stop using the fact that they may be sinners as a reason to not help them, if it is not right to help sinners then why did Jesus die for us?

You may say there are more important political issues, oh really? No, there might be issues that they say are more important, but who are they and why are we listening to them? Over 2 million deaths a year in Africa from Aids I'd say that's pretty important wouldn't you? There might be more deaths from abortion, but at this rate it won't take Aids long to catch up. And why in blue-blazes does one issue make another insignificant? It doesn't, the only thing that's insignificant is the amount of attention this epidemic is getting.

"Money won't stop Aids in Africa." No it won't, but that's no excuse not to help. That money will show those Africans the love of Christ, and according to John 13:35 it is by loving one another that people will know we are Christians. And if we're living right we will be a reflection of Christ. We have a chance to show the love of God to these people, and God is the only one who can heal Africa.

I'm going to be frank here. The reason many of you do not care about Aids in Africa is because stopping this epidemic it is not endorsed by a political party. Dear Lord give us a backbone if our every decision is based on party lines. Stop using your political party as an excuse to be inactive, stop putting loyalty to party above loyalty to God.

"Well there are poor people here." How poor? You know how many 'poor' people there are that own computers and cars and houses in America? And even if you own nothing, here there are homeless shelters and soup kitchens. The poor of Africa has nothing. The orphanages are generally crowded and the hospitals financially strapped and undermanned. We need to quit ignoring the issue.

I hope some of you feel convicted after this, I know I do. I know many of you will condemn me, argue with me, try to tell me I'm wrong. Whatever, let partisan politics be your god if that's what you choose. But this is something everyone needs to reach out in, regardless of political stance. I have decided I can be silent no longer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Christianity Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory